Monday, September 13, 2010

Practicum has started............... :)

So anyone who knows me very well knows that I don't do well when I am nervous.  First Date with Dayna I was sick the whole time (part due to having same day surgery).  So last night I didn't sleep well.  I think I got a total of 3 hours if that.  I just get myself so nervous about things sometimes.  I think my recent "playdates" were the first time I hung out with someone was was not a basket case before hand.  Well I was a little bit but it was do able.   Anyways today was my first day of practicum.  I was so nervous and the closer it got to 1 p.m. the sicker my stomach got.  I am grateful that I had someone to chat with up until I had to run to get there on time.  It helped to be joking around rather then sitting there talking about it and getting more worked up.  So I left work and headed to start my time as a therapist.  When I got there I met my first client (individual therapy which I didn't think would start until next week).  Then right after that hour got over I went right into a 2 hour woman's group.  These were my first two experiences doing therapy.  In the individual therapy I was all alone with the client and in the group my supervisor was with me.  They were both such a great start to therapy. Now I know not all my days will be this great or go this good.  I mean come on I am working with drug and alcohol clients.  Some of which are court ordered but most are there by choice. ( age 18-30ish).   As I sat there with my clients it was just like nature took over.  I just went with what was in my head and listened.  Several times my individual client kept saying "I don't know why I am telling you this".  Which just helped me to see that this is something I can do and that people will have a easy time for the most part talking to me.  My supervisor said I did very well in group and she knows I will be fine running it all by myself next time.  She also liked my ideas of where I would like to go with group and individual therapy.  I am just so excited for this new adventure and where my life will go as a therapist.  I am so excited for this time of my life. I am so grateful for my practicum site and their willingness to teach, guide, and work with me.   Thank you to all my friends and family for your support, well wishes, and prayers. It truly was a good day.

2 comments: